Speak Out Against JW Depression and Suicide

I believe that the suicide rate among Jehovah's Witnesses has gotten worse and that if we stay quiet about this problem it will continue to get worse.  We cannot let this happen!  But, what can we do?  Especially since most of our friends and family members will not speak to non-JW's.  Well, I have a few ideas I would like to share with you and please share yours as well.  If we can at least save one person by speaking out against JW depression and suicide then it will be worthwhile.

For me I think the most important thing we can do is become aware of the problem.  Educate ourselves so that when we see signs we will know what we can do.  And communicate.  So many suffer in silence thinking they are the only one having these feelings.  They need to know they are not alone.  Lets conquer this together with love and understanding.  Please, if you have comments or experience, please share it with us.  We do not want to lose any more loved ones to depression or suicide.  It is a tragedy that does not have to happen.

I remember as a child my mother and aunts talking about this issue (when they thought we were too young to understand).  I remember hearing them say that they felt after reading the Watchtower and Awake that it would not be a good idea to see a "worldly" therapist.  And, they did not want to bring negative light to the congregation.  They felt it was a family problem, and that most families were not having the same problems.  But, years later this is still a problem.  With all that we have learned about depression-people are still not seeking help!  I have lost another dear family member!  We must help make changes-to save others from suffering.

Please share your experience.  How has it affected you or your loved ones?  What have you tried-that maybe others can do also to help there loved ones?  I will do more research and try and post what positive things others have done and are doing to improve this situation.

With Love and Encouragement

2 comments:

  1. I too was suicidal and suffered greatly from depression. My suicidal thoughts we triggered because nothing I did as a JW was ever good enough. Not for my family, the congregation members, and cetainly not the elders. I was raised in a very rigid home and always told "be perfet, set the perfect example, other kids are watching you" I was also told "the next congregation will be better" none of them were. The pressure was unbearable. I finally quit going because I didn't want to take my own life. I had secretly gotten an anti-depressant from my Doctor. I was feeling better and calmer. I knew sitting the in the kh was being a worse hypocrite than not going at all.

    Writing a letter telling them I was no longer a member was the healthiest thing I have ever done for myself. I am still the same person, likes, dilikes etc but I am happy and relaxed. That was almost 10 years ago and I do not regret my decision.

    I remember one woman who had some kind of mental health issue & wisely checked herself into a hospital. A lectural was given letting the congregation know this was considered "inappropriate for jws"

    I also was told by the elders, as a young married woman that knew for a fact her husband was threatening to kill himself, "to keep my mouth shut and stay away because they had talked him out of walking into a suicide facility, because jws dont need mental help from doctors" i told them if he killed himself I would have them charged in his murder.

    Jws believe pysicatric help and doctors of psychiatry and psychologits are all about mind control and only jehovah is allowed to control the mind.

    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you found your way out and are much happier! I have thought about going back to meetings just to meet the ones who are having a hard time. Just to let them know someone is there for them. I still may but I think for now the best way is to write about it. After leaving the witnesses I had a very hard time financially. I owned my own business and half of my clients were witnesses and they left. That is part of the reason I was offline for quite a while. But I see that people are still finding my articles and the comments helpful. So I would like to encourage more comments. And thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete