Help For Jehovahs Witness Depression

I have been asking myself lately:  how can I help my depressed Jehovahs Witness loved ones if they will not associate with me?  Maybe someone else has been asking the same thing.  I have asked myself this question alot over the last three years since I left the JW religion.  But, this week it is even more important.  You see, my family member just committed suicide.  And, she is not the only one.  I have four family members who have done this and countless others have thought about it at one time or another.  There must be something I can do?!!  But, how?!  Since leaving the Jehovahs Witness congregation many of my family members will not speak to me. 

What I have decided to do in the meantime is be prepared.  I will do some research into how to help.  What are the signs?  How to help someone who does not know they need help.  How to help someone who is trying to fake happiness.  I will be prepared because at some point I believe someone will come forward and reach out for help and I will be ready and will be able to help them.

Take for example my mother.  I love her dearly but she says that since I have "turned my back on Jehovah" she can no longer have a relationship with me.  But, on occasion (illnesses and death for instance) she will contact me.  I take these times to reassure her of my love and acceptance.  In the past I used to try to get her to see my side and how hurtful her attitude was.  But, that was no help at all.  Now I try to be understanding and accepting and give her unconditional love.  Maybe in the future she will remember this and come to me for help.

If you have any advice you would like to share please do so.

4 comments:

  1. I just want to say hi and I wish to send some love your way! I do hate when someone turn their back on the Organization and the people who are left behind (by choice) say you have turned your back on JEHOVAH. It is scary some people can call themselves Jehovah. Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy! Thank you for your support. I hate to think of the isolation ex Jehovahs Witnesses must have felt before we had the internet. At least we can reach out to each other now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pleasse help me!! I am dying inside. Lost!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, how can I help? Myself and others are listening and want to offer you our support. Please tell me about yourself.
      Sincerely, J.

      Delete