Family Time

So, I am wondering how others have dealt with leaving the JW organization and their immediate family. When I decided to leave my husband was less than thrilled to put it mildly. I had been baptized at 17 (long long time ago) and he had just gotten baptized the year before. But, you cant really control the timing of these things. He actually told me he was going to take the kids to every meeting and function wether I liked it or not and wether I went or not. I was so upset! What to do!!!?? Plus, I did not really have anyone to ask since I had just left my support system. I could not go to my mother-she was furious about me leaving (and still shunning me). My other siblings supported me leaving but had no experience in it breaking up the family and father still going...... I was terrified.
To make a long story short, I decided to take a deep breath and think about it for awhile and then decide how to go about this. I decided to keep going to the meetings until my husband could see "the light". That way at least I would know what my children were learning and I could talk to them about it at home and give them more than one perspective. At least they were still very young. And, in the meantime I would tell my husband little things here and there which started adding up. And, then one day a very good friend of ours came and told us about her being abused by her spouse (one of my husbands "very good friend"). We were so shocked. They had met as a pioneer couple and her father was an elder etc. How could this had happened. Well, for me it was too close to the truth of my childhood (which my husband knew all about). And, he decided when he was not counsled even after a police report!!, that was enough for my husband. Plus, we had seen the stories from silent lamb website at around the same time.
Since then we have been studying with our family at home and trying to decide what to do next. Any comments, suggestions or experience?!

No comments:

Post a Comment