JWs vs WCG

I was doing some research on the computer yesterday and what I had searched for brought up a very interesting page written by Worldwide Church of God. It had the harlot of babylon picture on the very top and it looked very very similiar to a lot of the photos I remembered seeing the the JW Revelation book. (remember how many times we studied that one?) I could not believe my eyes. I know now after doing alot of (forbidden) reading and studying that the JW religion is not all that original but I guess sometimes I forget.

Did you know that the Worldwide Church of God (Armstrongism) has alot of the same beliefs as the JWs. I had never even heard of them until I was inactive and they have been around since at least 1934 also. There are just so many coincidences. Especially when the witnesses act as if they are the only ones with this knowledge. Part of me thinks that is partly the reason they don't want you to read others magazines. You might find that Armstrong is a better religion and go there. You may not feel so special as a JW if you know that WCG is also against the trinity and pagan holidays.......

Here are just some of the similarities between JWs and the WCG religion:

  • Reject the trinity
  • Practice disfellowshipping
  • Do not participate in war
  • Do not vote
  • Believe the cross is a pagan symbol
  • No christmas, easter, or bdays
  • Love millenialism
  • Believe they are the one true church
  • Believe all other churches are from the devil
  • Prophesied the end of the world in 1970's
  • Published the Plain Truth magazine
  • Owned radio show

I am sure there are probably more similarities but these are the most surprising to me. Do I believe as a JW anymore? no. But, I did think that they were at least pretty original. Now I wonder who copied who. Did the two religions feed off each other? Did the leaders know each other? Did they both believe and follow CT Russell? Miller?

Now the WCG has lost their Armstrong leader and now someone else is doing the leading. It sounds as if they are now going back to mainstream christianity and changing alot of their beloved beliefs. I wonder where the followers will go that do not agree with all of the new changes.

And, should we be going to a church at all? They are just human leaders. But, if not a church where do we go for fellowship and worship? Should we just be meeting at small home groups? I am still left wondering and searching (not such a bad thing).

If anyone is out there with similar thoughts and questions please let me know what you have gone through!! I love fellowship on line at least. Can you imagine being in the 1970s and not being able to communicate with others who are questioning!!?? I guess that is why most simply did not question. Very sad.

1 comment:

  1. These leaders, Judge Rutherford and Armstrong, who lived in the same time period, are also reported to have had major problems with sexual immorality and/or alcohol. There's solid proof of both having these problems. They appear to be major hypocrites through and through.

    ReplyDelete