Bible Reading

I just had to post this because after being a jehovahs witness from birth and that has been thirty or so years, It just occurred to me how little Bible reading is done at the meetings in context.  Yes, it is true we are told to read the Bible daily and given a nice little schedule, but how many of the witnesses are actually doing the reading?  We do more logging and checking of out in service hours than logging and checking how many hours per week we spent reading God's Word.  It seems so strange to me now.  If you add up the hours spent at meetings.  Five meetings per week.  And, the Bible reading is done at the service meeting for only a few minutes.  This just does not make sense for a group that is all about studying the Bible. 

I wish this had occurred to me years earlier.  But, it didn't, and so I will share it with you now.  Yes, I could and should have done my own Bible reading at home and I did try to many times, but I just did not like it.  I figured I already knew the basics from studying the watchtower and awake and it just seemed dry to me.  I did not enjoy it most of the time. 

Now in retrospect I see how the witnesses are able to start bible studies with new people.  Most of the time (from experience)  the people we studied with did not know anything about the Bible or religion.  That is why I stress to people the need to educate themselves.  Do it online (encyclopedia) or at the library, but get to know the history of the Bible and religion.  Inform yourself so that you do not leave the witnesses and get involved in another group just like them.  As humans we tend to go back to what we know and feels comfortable.  The Watchtower Org. is an authoritarian organization and most leave there and go to another authoritarian org. or relationship.  Please take time to yourself.  To get to know who you are and what you want and what is acceptable to you.  You deserve it!

I have done a lot of reading and research since leaving the witnesses two years ago.  And, I still have a lot of questions but.......I know when to trust my instincts now and I am learning to stand up for myself and set appropriate boundaries to keep myself safe and happy.  We all deserve this and we owe it to our children to teach them this also.  I hope all goes well with you and if you need encouragement, please let me know.  It is really hard when you are thinking of leaving or have left.  I know first hand.  My family is four generations JW and most of them do not speak to me now and so I am starting over.......but I am doing it informed this time and I want to be around people who accept me for the wonderful person I am even if I don't agree with all of their religious interpretations.

3 comments:

  1. i will agree. words were chosen perfectly, "even if I don't agree with all of their religious interpretations."

    great work and great encouragement. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both for your support!

    ReplyDelete